Under the direction of the Divisional General Manager, the Engineering Manager - Machinery, provides management, leadership, mentorship, direction and support to Tramco’s and Union Iron’s machinery engineering team to ensure the product line is supported with engineering resources and these resources are effective, consistent and sustainable.
The Engineering Manager – Machinery is directly responsible for overseeing and guiding the application and product design engineering for chain conveyors, bucket elevators, distributors, air supported belt conveyors, screw conveyors, truck probes and miscellaneous machinery lines at AGI’s facilities in Wichita, KS and Decatur, IL.
To work with divisional, intra-divisional and AGI resources as required:
• Manufacturing Engineering
• Research & Development
• Finance & Administration
• Purchasing & Inventory Control
• Human Resources
• Sales & Marketing
• The Engineering Manager – Machinery is appointed by the Divisional General Manager, who shall delegate sufficient authority to design and support the machinery product lines.
• To ensure sales, customer service and manufacturing of machinery products are supported through complete and accurate drawings, BOM’s, and specifications.
• To improve and expand the machinery product catalogue as required by performing cost reductions, continuous design improvements, analysis, testing, and other routine design engineering activities as required.
• Provide direction, leadership, and mentoring to the machinery engineering team.
• Oversee the application engineering for machinery product lines. Support the quoting and selling process by ensuring
customer requirements are met through the application of sound engineering principles.
• Seek opportunities for continuous improvement of machinery designs. Ensure changes are managed and implemented through adherence to the engineering change management process.
• Provide field support and manufacturing support to operations. Employ troubleshooting strategies to quickly determine root cause of defects and issues.
• Ensure designs are complete and fit for intended purposes, conform to internal design practices and requirements, and compliant with external codes, standards and regulations.
• Perform advanced analysis and make design decisions based on results. Review the design calculations of others to ensure proper application of engineering techniques.
• Ensure accurate CAD models, drawings, and bills of materials are generated and maintained to support sales, production, and documentation teams.
• Comply with Divisional and AGI Engineering standards, procedures, and protocols.
• Assist with project quoting and estimating as required
• Comply with company policies, operating procedures and health & safety guidelines.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Structural, Agricultural, or Mechanical Engineering or similar.
• Strong theoretical and practical working knowledge of the design of bulk material handling equipment for agricultural products is preferred. Relevant experience with machinery in other industries would be an asset.
• Knowledge of finite element analysis (FEA) theory, and experience with FEA programs.
• Proficient with SolidWorks or other parametric CAD software.
• Project management / quoting experience to support the selling process.
• Experience in managing a team of engineering professionals in a manufacturing environment.
• Excellent communicator, both verbal and written, who thrives on solving problems while working in a team environment.
• Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills while working cooperatively & effectively in a collaborative design team, including representatives from other AGI facilities, departments, customers, and suppliers.
• Demonstrates strong analytical, problem solving, decision making, organizational and time management skills.
• Exercises good judgment, initiative, and a strong work ethic and a sense of urgency
Accountability and Performance Measurement:
• Ability to work effectively with divisional teams
• Development and maintenance of consistent and sustainable engineering designs and documentation
• Engineering team member development
• Variance to other agreed upon performance targets
Specifics to be defined over time, but always with the proviso that the incumbent will be required to do other duties as assigned, regardless of this or any other job description.
Qualified candidates may submit their resume, cover letter and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org